Thursday, April 23, 2009

Decrying the missing

I am more and more finding myself missing something that everything points to being really important; the media, the adverts and the games themselves...

Why is it than when I complete the Resident Evil remake on the Gamecube I get the option to play through exactly the same game again with the main character wearing a different costume? What? Why would I want to do that? Why would anyone want to do that?

Why would I be interested in playing a beat-em-up with the character wearing a different pair of trousers? Why would I want to paint an in-game car a different colour? Do go-faster stripes actually make the car faster? On the subject, why would I want a new Nintendo DS because the plastic is a new colour? What did a platinum Gamecube or Silver PS2 provide that the others didn't? If it did have anything useful that the others didn't then it would be incompatible with the standard unit; it makes no sense.

What is it with all these things that add nothing to the game, but are given as some kind of bonus? Never once have I played a game and thought, "I can't wait to get to the end and play all this again with the character wearing a new hat."

No comments:

Post a Comment